May 23, 2020
Even with so much space between us, the BA Women's Alliance is committed to building community among us.
One way to do that is by celebrating the wins…small and large. And wahoo!...do we have some good news for you! Because of the ardent support of our community, the COVID-restructured EmpowHER program is making a difference in the lives of women and we couldn’t wait to share this with you!
On March 13th, we were quick to make the decision to “COVID-proof” the EmpowHER program by designing a virtual EmpowHER experience and creating specialized content to keep their careers on track.
Collectively, we stepped up to stand alongside our BA sisters. We were shown how quickly our champions could mobilize around our mission.
These women are the silver linings of our days! In April, we welcomed our cohort of 39 women from across the country and around the world and dove right into EmpowHER 2020…
As of today, we’ve completed 7 virtual modules of EmpowHER’s Spring Curriculum:
- Applying to Internships: 88% agree or strongly agree that they have an increased understanding of researching potential organizations, applying to organizations and managing applications…and we’ll be sharing their internship host organizations with you soon! FORTY organizations have stepped up to host our EmpowHER 2020 cohort in a new, virtual format!
- Cover Letter & Resume Writing: 95% agree or strongly agree that they have an increased understanding of how to create a resume and cover letter that stand out.
- Online Branding & LinkedIn: 100% agree or strongly agree that they have an increased understanding of creating or updating their LinkedIn profile and how to use it for their upcoming internship search.
- Acing the Interview: 95% agree or strongly agree that they have an increased understanding of how to prepare for interviews, tips for acing the interview and what to do afterwards.
- Mental Health & Self Care: 100% agree or strongly agree that they have an increased understanding of tools and strategies that support their mental health and wellness during COVID-19.
- Networking 101: live session! (recently completed, still collecting data!)
- Up next up is: Beyond Professionalism: Succeeding in Your Internship & Remote Working
Our next wave of programming along with their internships, will begin the first week of June.
Here are a few responses we’ve heard so far:
“To me, the BA mindset means that I should not shy away from explicitly stating my achievements as a first-generation college student in the US and a woman of color trying to enter corporate America.”
“I’ve gotten a second chance in life after moving to a developed country from a third world country. I want to utilize the privileges I have gained living in America to help others with their rights and health disparities.”
“The BA mindset means tuning out the voice that says that I shouldn't apply to certain positions because there are other people with more experience or who have worked with more prestigious organizations. I’m practicing being my biggest fan!”
While each of us has fought hard to open doors, we’ve also had doors held open by advocates. And today with you, we’re paving the way for women to shatter glass ceilings and expectations!
BA Women's Alliance
The BA Women’s Alliance is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization which supports the educational, personal, and professional development of women who seek to make a difference in the world.more posts by BA Women's Alliance →